Saturday, November 18, 2006

A Student's Questions

A student wrote to me and asked some very interesting and pertinent questions. In this post I am sharing some of these questions and the respective answers. For reasons of confidentiality the name of the student and the subject of the project are not being revealed.

Please write to me if you have any queries about your project.

Student wrote: When I read the booklet I found it difficult from where to start my project.

My answer: Yes, it may be difficult, even for enterprising students to understand the booklet, because the booklet does not give ready made answers, and it was never intended to give ready made answers. The booklet, and the project, allows the students to find their own path and methodology in dealing with their own project, in other words you are free to choose your own way of doing the project. However, there are certain guidelines you must follow. These guidelines will at the end help you structure the presentation of your analysis and work. These guidelines will also facilitate the assessment process.

Student wrote: I think that by this diary I will cover the first part (project) but my problem is how I am going to cover the journal?

My answer: The diary is different from the journal. In the diary you simply jot down notes on events that you were involved in. For example, 'I had a meeting with a resident who complained about youth facilities in the Hal Farrug neighbourhood ...'. In the journal you must also analyse, perhaps scientifically, this event, in the sense, e.g. ... 'During this meeting I should have jotted down notes to record the salient points of the resident's complaints. I would then file this complaint and use it in the annual report'.

Student wrote: I know that I have to include photographs, signatures and other proofs in the project but I am seeing no difference between the project and the journal.

My answer: The wording used in the booklet is a bit ambiguous. The word 'project' in the booklet refers to the physical activities (painting, singing, social work, ... etc). But the words SOK project = activity/ies (ie. 'project' in booklet) + journal + booklet + essay (1000 words). Therefore, the journal is part of the SOK project.

SOK project = activity/ies ('project' in booklet) + journal + booklet + essay.


The question here is how to construct and present your journal. What about creating your own blog which I can consult daily or weekly? The blog, website or whatever can also go public and you will be open to comments and critique from friends and the general public. Now ... if you choose this option you would really be exploring both science and technology (the blog) and responsible citizenship (or aesthetics, or environment). Bingo ... a first class project! :)




No comments: